Monday, January 25, 2010

Paula

imgres.jpg


In light of her birthday last Tuesday, this post is dedicated to THE Paula Deen. I'm kind of a fan, ok in truth, I LOVE her and try to channel her as often as possible. Around here I call her my BFF - even though she doesn't know it!! In the last two months I have tried many of her recipes, googled her countless times, visited her website more than I will ever admit, watched her on the Food Network, and bought a book of hers. I have also gotten my Mom (who NEVER cooks) on the Paula Deen band wagon with me!!! She keeps talking about buying a Paula Deen cookbook - I can't remember the last cookbook she decidedly bought! Don't be intimidated by her love of butter - every recipe I've tried I've lessened the amount and it has still turned out AMAZING!! One thing I plan to do each week with my blog is to share recipes I love, especially Paula Deen one's. (Speaking of blogs with recipes: Check out my sister's blog where she plans out delicious, simple, money-saving meals for a whole week for you - how much easier can it get???) So for a week I have sifted through my Paula recipes and have decided to share her recipe for:

Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast

2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced

1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots

1/2 cup frozen green peas

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup

1 cup chicken broth

Salt and pepper, optional

1 1/2 cups instant biscuit mix

1 cup milk

1 stick melted butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, and peas. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

I did make some changes:

For the chicken I used a store-bought already cooked rotisserie chicken.

I used NO eggs - the thought of the texture grossed me out. I did use two potatoes I had. I microwaved them to get them a little soft and put them in lieu of the eggs.

I added frozen corn, because Ryan and I LOVE corn. The added crunch helped too!

I used half a stick of butter instead of a whole stick. It was still delicious and I will continue to make it this way in the future.

I sprinkled some garlic salt on the biscuit mixture before I put it in the oven for some added flavor. We love garlic!

*I really don't think you can mess up this recipe. Experiment to your taste!!*

*Ryan specifically said I should put this recipe on here because he LOVED it and "craves it all the time"*

ENJOY!!! Happy Birthday Paula!!

No comments:

Post a Comment